Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The Case for a Cover Letter



For several weeks now, I have been receiving résumés for my employer to fill an open position. The job ad is posted several different places online and, in every posting, I request a cover letter with the résumé. I want to tell you that I very seldom receive a cover letter. I have read approximately 50 résumés and four cover letters.

If you are one of the people applying for jobs but not submitting a cover letter, let me tell you what a cover letter can do for you.
  1. Demonstrate that you pay attention to details and follow instructions
  2. Offer you the opportunity to tell me how you see yourself fitting with this position (Don’t know what to write? Look at the description and requirements in the ad and tell me how your knowledge, skills, and abilities meet my needs.)
  3. Explain special circumstances in your employment history (like employment lapses and frequent job changes, or why you are applying for a job in Fort Wayne IN when you live in St. Louis MO.)

Let me tell you, if you are applying for an engineering position and your degree is in cosmetology, you’ve got some ‘splainin to do! Let the cover letter work for you by telling me what attracted you to this job that has nothing to do with cosmetology. If you can’t make your case in your cover letter, don't expect a call from me.

That’s all for now, folks. Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Yourself Presentable

Let's say you did well with your cover letter and your resume, and now I want to talk to you. I will send an email and make an appoi...